by John Nixon
Covering the airfields’ wartime service from 1941 and brief reoccupation of the station in 1953 to its eventual conversion into HMP Haverigg. Extensively illustrated with over 260 photographs and including over 50 first-hand accounts of life at RAF Millom, Cumbria, England. This extremely accessible history will engage a broad readership and provide a historical treasure for future generations. The units’ primary purpose was the training of aircrew for Bomber Command and those airmen who passed through the station went on to have many and varied experiences of aerial warfare. At the heart of them all lies a small and windblown airfield which served Sovereign and country through the dark days of WWII and beyond. Drawing on extensive historical, official and anecdotal material in this, his fourth and final book recording the history of the South Cumbrian airfields, the author has without doubt produced his finest and most comprehensive work to date.
- Hardcover: 374 pages
- Publisher: Pixel Tweaks Publications (22 July 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0993467997
- ISBN-13: 978-0993467998
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 2.2 x 24.4 cm
| Available from local bookshops, to order from any bookshop and online from Amazon
| About the Author:
John Nixon at a book signing
John Nixon was born in Ulverston, South Lakes, in 1953 and attended High Newton Primary School. Later, on leaving Cartmel Church of England School in 1968, he made his living in varied ways until he joined Her Majesty’s Prison Service in 1974. After 32 years service, he is now retired and a self-employed writer. John is also the author of ‘Wings over Sands’ the history of RAF Cark & RAF Grange-over-Sands, and ‘Warbirds of Walney’ the history of RAF Walney Airfield which was shortlisted for the 2014 Lakeland Book of the Year. You can view more details on his website here – JohnNixonAuthor
Look Inside – here is a sample of a few pages of this book.